Monday, December 7, 2015

Kalaw

Today an 8 hour long journey from Bagan to Kalaw, another hill station dating back to the time of the British.  Given that our last journey had taken twice as long as anticipated I don’t think anyone was really looking forward to it.  But it was a good journey.  

We stopped en route at a palm tree farm and sampled some toddy flavoured with peanuts (ground nuts) and watched the cow grinding the nuts. 



This lady was desperate to plaster thanakha all over my face.


I thought it was odd that birds would nest so close together but apparently the nests have been collected and tied up there.


We stopped for a loo break (I didn’t go, the smell from the doorway put me off) and there were various ladies selling foods, including chickens.  Ian and I settled for 12 little satsumas.


A lot of the photos are just quick snaps from the coach window so the quality is poor.




Lunch was a bit weird as we seemed to be eating in a garage.  They very kindly washed all the plates and cutlery in front of us but we didn’t have a clue as to where the water had come from so I decided to play safe and found a little shack outside selling crisps.


Driving up through the clouds


We finally got to Kalaw just before sunset so all I had time for was a couple of quick snaps.  It’s about 4,500 ft above sea level and was very cold and windy there, a real shock to the system, but the hotel was new and very clean and warm but seemed to be run by teenagers – everyone looked so young. 



Sadly we would be off after breakfast the following morning, so it’s another of these places you wonder why you’re actually there  - arrive at dusk, leave early – but I think it was just to break the journey to Inle Lake.